Home
Audios
Videos
Books
Articles
Photos
Ramana Bhaskara
Scheduler
Information

Articles

Discourse of Sadguru Sri Nannagaru at Sri Nannagaru Ashram

Arunachala, 23rd February 2005



Home


God is one. Brahma, Vishnu, Shiva are not different from each other – they are one. Shiva is final. He is the destroyer of mind or ego. Realisation is not possible without dissolving the mind. Sankaracharya said that if a person is suffering from a disease and eliminates 99% of the disease by treatment, the remaining 1% could lead to a recurrence. Similarly, even if the mind subsides significantly, if it doesn’t completely dissolve, it might be necessary to take a number of rebirths. So, never trust the mind as without the complete destruction of the mind, self realisation is not possible.

Knowledge of scriptures, wealth, fame, insult, birth, death, respect, disrespect, likes, dislikes, pleasure, pain – all of these are of the mind. They are not true and do not belong to the Self, they belong to nature and maya (delusion).

We get back whatever we do in the world, good is returned for good and bad for bad. The benefit of coming to Arunachala might not be felt physically or externally, but its effect, although we don’t realise it, would definitely be on the mind. One lady said she loved Arunachala. She feels her love towards the mountain but doesn’t realise that it is the unlimited love of Arunachala that has made her love Him. Her feeling is the response to His spontaneous love, but she doesn’t acknowledge this – this is maya.

In reality there is no ‘you’. There is only Him. Because of thinking ‘you exist’, all troubles arise. Vasudeva said in the Bhagavad Gita, one should bravely face the many incidents that take place in life and shouldn’t run away from them. But Bhagavan Maharshi said that there is no life and nothing to face – as all is a creation of the mind. In reality there is no world, it is the mind that believes the world and its sorrows are real, and that is the reason for suffering. Only a totally detached man can realise the worldless state.

God is the giver of results for work done (karma). But Bhagavan said, doer is maya and karma is maya. Who is the doer? What is karma? Put them both to the side, for as long as we consider them to be real, birth and death continue and millions of lives might pass away.

A person might slip on a small drop of water on the floor and break his leg and get admitted into hospital. People have accidentally stepped on a banana peel, fallen and broken their leg. These are all pretexts – the body has to go through suffering according to its destiny. Doer and karma are not real and we will continue taking birth until we realise them to be unreal.

If we feel sorrow it means there is attachment, because without attachment there is no sorrow. No one likes sorrow because it is not us and we want to get rid of it. There is no sorrow in our true state; we always want to be happy because happiness is our true state.
Home

Translated By: Dr.Usha
Courtesy: Meenakshi Ammal, Tiruvannamalai
© 2010 Sri Ramana Kshetram, Jinnuru 534265, Andhra Pradesh, India
Last Updated:December 13, 2016